History of Centreville, Virginia

History of Centreville, Virginia

Two hundred and ten years ago the magnificent town of Centreville was created, the residents of Centreville are very proud of their long heritage. The town is blessed with so many historical events that shaped it into what it is today.

 

Centreville was formally known to be a town in 1792 but its history had begun long before that, with the arrival of the Paleo-Indians about twelve thousand years ago. The European settlers arrived in the 1720s and established a small village called Newgates in the 1760s. Its name was changed from Newgate to Centreville when the Virginia Assembly authorized its status to be called a town.

 

Centreville has been through good seasons and bad seasons. The most unforgettable period was during the civil war, when the town was being occupied forcefully by the Union and Confederate troops that lead to the first and second battles that were fought at the doorsteps of Manassas. This unfortunate event destroyed Centreville but didn’t destroy the hope of the people who had made Centreville its home no matter what. It took so many years to rebuild after the war, but its citizens were determined to put what was destroyed behind and move on, they eventually reclaimed the land and made it bloom again.

 

Late in the 1960s Centreville gradually evolved from a civil war farming community to the business booming city we see today. It became of importance to the citizens of Centreville to preserve its rich historical heritage.

 

In the effort of preserving the Historic Town of Centreville, VA working with land developers, the 1737 Willoughby Newton boundary stone, the oldest written records in Fairfax Country were preserved from the incoming development and are presently on loan in the Centreville Regional Library for appreciation and enlightenment of the citizens of Centreville.

 

The society was also persistent in preserving the 1760s Lane’s Mill ruins, which is now the country’s first archeological park. Also, among the things preserved is the Mitchell Weeks House and the Cross Farmhouse in Chantilly. The Mount Gilead which is believed to be constructed in the mid 1700s was visited by George Washington but his visit was never on record for verification. It was also used as the confederate military headquarters during the winter of 61-62 when over forty thousand military troops camped in the Centreville area. Also In preservation is the St. John Episcopal Church. The original construction of the church was on July 14th, 1852, and was later used as an alternative hospital during the civil war.

 

The town of Centreville, VA has a rich history as you can see. Feel free to visit our beautiful little town and say hi to the many friendly people while you are here.  

Check out this article: LINK

Check out this article: LINK

 


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published